Purpose

I started this blog with the goal of documenting our creation of enough passive income by July 2012 to achieve true financial freedom - a great lifestyle funded by money that comes in whether we work or not.

We didn't make it...at least partially because I now believe that work provides a lot of benefits both to the one working (physically, mentally, emotionally, and even spiritually) and also to the one being served.

I still am very interested in investing and the world of finance, so I will try and pass along any interesting opportunities I see, but I have a newfound love for active income as well.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Improving Gas Mileage - Installment 1 of 6 (or so)

With gas now at nearly $4 per gallon, I just couldn’t stand it anymore. I finally had to write down the things that I know can help you improve your gas mileage.

Gas prices have certainly been in the news alot lately, and though (like many of my subjects as of late) it is not directly related to passive income, I feel it is something that a lot of people are interested in, so i am going to share my knowledge (limited as that may be :) ).

Some of these you will know, maybe some you won’t, and maybe this will help give you a reason to do some of those things you know you should!

In this day of ever-increasing gas prices, there are lots of gimmicks out there that promise to increase gas mileage. The purpose of these tips is to cut through the fluff to show you the things you can do that are PROVEN to improve gas mileage. I’m an engineer by training, and I don’t like to present facts without seeing that they are backed up with some sort of proof.

Also know that I have chosen improvements that are easy to implement, produce quick results, and are safe. There are a number of other improvements that did not make the list because they do not meet one or more of the above criteria (for example: over-inflating tires and drafting both improve fuel economy if done right, but are safety hazards).

The improvements are ordered from easiest and highest impact to more difficult to implement or lower impact.

So without further ado, here they are:

1) Maintain Your Fuel System (today's installment!)
2) Check Your Tire Pressure
3) Use Synthetic Oils (engine, transmission, and differential)
4) Drive more “Efficiently”
5) Breathe Easier – Change Your Air Filter
6) Lighten Your Load


You’ve probably heard most (if not all) of these before, but I want to put some real numbers to each of these improvements for you so that you can make a very informed decision about how to implement these ideas.

Each of these six posts will give you the details on one of these subjects – approximate costs, potential savings, and the reasons behind the savings.

I have based the savings and cost analysis on a typical year (except where noted) for the “average driver”, driving 15,000 miles per year, getting 20 mpg, and paying $3.50 per gallon (I still can’t believe that) for gas.

My Recommendations

At the end of most sections, I include my recommendations for the best bang for your buck on each improvement (where applicable). These are the same recommendations I would make to friends and family and if anything don’t go as far as I personally would.

These recommendations are based on what? My experience. That’s all I can talk about. They may not be right for you, which is why I try to provide some discussion on each topic so that you can make an informed decision for yourself. Fair enough? Great!

Onto the “nitty gritty”…

Improvement #1 – Maintain Your Fuel System

Potential savings: $39 – 184 (1.5 – 7% improvement)

Cost: $10-115 and a little time

Cost of my recommendation: $20
- $20 for AMSOIL additives
- Nothing for TOP TIER fuel (in most places)

This really falls into two parts – a) trying to restore your fuel system to its new and clean condition, and b) maintaining that cleanliness.

Not only can this significantly improve gas mileage (average of 2.3% in testing – I have gotten confirmed reports of up to 8.8%), but it can improve the responsiveness and drivability of the car – in other words, help it drive “like new” again.

A) Clean your fuel system periodically

Most gasoline sold today contains only the minimum amount of detergent additives – you know, the things that keep your fuel system clean – that are required by law. This is not enough, as many automobile manufacturers have discovered (see the second part of Improvement #1, below).

Unfortunately, over time, deposits build up in your fuel system causing inefficiencies in your engine. Not only that, the deposits tend to build up differently in different cylinders, so one cylinder might be getting too much gas and another not enough while your car thinks everything is working normally.

This usually increases pollutants considerably as well. Why? Today’s engines are actually very finely tuned to emit very few pollutants IF THEY ARE RUNNING RIGHT. Once the deposits build up and the fuel mix varies between cylinders, pollutants can increase significantly.

So what do you do?

Use a fuel additive to clean out the system periodically. I have seen testing showing 15% reduction in fuel flow in an injector in only 3,000 miles.

The problem isn’t necessarily the decrease in fuel flow (though it’s not good) – the real problem is when one cylinder is getting 85% flow and another is getting 95%. Your car assumes they are all getting the same when, in fact, one may be getting way to much and one may be getting way too little, which causes each to operate VERY inefficiently, lowering your mileage

Unless you have a brand-new car, your fuel system is not perfectly clean. Try an additive to restore power. I recommend AMSOIL based upon the extensive third-party testing that has been done. (I do sell AMSOIL products, but I only do so because I have determined them to be the best products out there based upon independent tests.) There may be other good ones out there, but I have not seen anything comparable.

AMSOIL recommends adding fuel additive every 4,000 miles to keep the fuel system clean. Depending on what kind of gas you are using and how much you care about your car, you can always either wait until you notice a drop in performance (I don’t recommend this – it is tough to notice because it happens so slowly) or try it again after 6 months or a year and see if you notice an improvement.

My recommendation:
Use AMSOIL or another very high-quality fuel additive at least every 6 months.

(For more information on the AMSOIL additive, click here or feel free to contact me directly.)


B) Use TOP TIER gasoline

OK, this doesn’t actually improve gas mileage but it theoretically helps maintain it. A group of automakers (BMW, GM, Honda, and Toyota) jointly developed these standards because they determined that the federally-mandated levels of additives were not enough. The TOP TIER designation was created to help keep the fuel system properly clean.

As of January 2008, this was the list of TOP TIER retailers in the US and Canada. All grades of their gasoline must meet the TOP TIER standards to make this list:

QuikTripChevronConocoPhillips76ShellEntec StationsMFA Oil CompanyKwik Trip/Kwik StarThe Somerset RefineryChevron-CanadaAloha PetroleumTri-Par Oil CompanyShell CanadaTexacoPetro-CanadaSunoco-Canada

As my friend Kevin Burns summarized: “Use red gas stations or Shell.” I’m not sure that works in all parts of the country, but where I am it works pretty well. Thanks, Kevin!

I try and use gas from this list whenever I can, even if it costs a couple of cents a gallon extra, but usually it doesn’t (but not if it costs 10 or 20 cents extra – then my frugality kicks in!).

Even if there is no hard data behind it, the automakers would not go through all of this trouble unless they saw significant benefit to the end user in it, so sign me up – I am sold on TOP TIER gasoline.

(Unfortunately, a similar standard for diesel fuel does not exist to my knowledge.)

Do I need to do both of these?

Yes – at least initially you need to use a fuel additive to get the fuel system clean. Then if you ALWAYS use TOP TIER gas, that should be enough.

Again, you could always check after 6 months or a year by adding more fuel additive. If you notice an improvement, then you probably ought to use the fuel additive on a regular basis. If you don’t notice an improvement, then TOP TIER gas is probably enough (at least until you notice a drop in performance down the road).

Here is what I recommend:
ALWAYS use TOP TIER gasoline unless it is much more expensive in your area or just not available.

Whew! Well, that's it for today's installment. Most of the rest will be shorter (but no less informative, I am sure!). I will plan on putting those up over the next few days so check back often!