Purpose

I started this blog with the goal of documenting our creation of enough passive income by July 2012 to achieve true financial freedom - a great lifestyle funded by money that comes in whether we work or not.

We didn't make it...at least partially because I now believe that work provides a lot of benefits both to the one working (physically, mentally, emotionally, and even spiritually) and also to the one being served.

I still am very interested in investing and the world of finance, so I will try and pass along any interesting opportunities I see, but I have a newfound love for active income as well.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Financial Freedom

I did not really define this well up front, so I want to make sure and define what financial freedom means to me. I think one of Harv Eker's (or T. Harv Eker when he's an author - more on that later) declarations sums it up well:

"I have more than enough passive income to pay for my desired lifestyle."

In other words, you have more than enough income coming in without you having to work for it (from investments, passive businesses, hands-off rental income, etc) to more than cover your expenses.

There are several ways to achieve this financial freedom: 1) increase your passive income until it more than covers your desired lifestyle, 2) simplify your desired lifestyle until your expenses are less than the passive income you have, or 3) some combination of the two.

You can have financial freedom and still be generating an active income from work - you just have the freedom to stop working if you want and still have enough income to live off of. (Yes, I use dangling prepositions because the "correct" grammar just sounds wrong.)

The freedom to work or not as you desire and still have your desired lifestyle - this is financial freedom. I want us to have this common definition for future discussions :)