Purpose

I started this blog with the goal of documenting our creation of enough passive income by July 2012 to achieve true financial freedom - a great lifestyle funded by money that comes in whether we work or not.

We didn't make it...at least partially because I now believe that work provides a lot of benefits both to the one working (physically, mentally, emotionally, and even spiritually) and also to the one being served.

I still am very interested in investing and the world of finance, so I will try and pass along any interesting opportunities I see, but I have a newfound love for active income as well.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

HELP! - How to make money with your blog?

Or to use the proper "lingo" - how do you efffectively monetize your blog?

I wish I had all of the answers on this one :)

As stated in the purpose of this blog, my primary intent for this blog is to journal my journey to financial freedom and share my successes (and not-quite-as-successfuls) with others. At the same time, I have put in some Google advertising (Adsense) blocks in an attempt to not only generate some revenue from the site but also provide more relevant content.

Adsense makes great sense (no pun intended) to me because many readers will stumble across my blog looking for information on a certain topic. You may or may not get value from the information I provide (hopefully you will!), but the ads provide information on similar topics that you (the reader) may find useful. If you do - it's a win-win - you get information you were looking for, and I get some advertising revenue.

My attempts to monetize this blog effectively (note also the link to Amazon.com for the 5-day book) are part of a larger goal of mine:

I hope to start a road trip blog where the revenues from the blog are what I have to live on each day. So no revenue would mean no gas, no place to stay, and no food.

Of course it would be critical to get some revenue generation before starting out because the blog about me sitting in my car in my driveway waiting for some revenue would be pretty boring (potentially very amusing, but still boring).

So that's where I need your help. How do I effectively make money from a blog? Adsense is easy to drop onto the sites, but any tips on generating click-throughs? Targetted advertising? eBooks? A "recommended reading" list linked to Amazon? I would welcome all ideas here - please make a comment to this post if you have an idea.

I plan to experiment on this site with revenue generation, so be aware of that. If you see things on here that you think are good ideas, please let me know. Likewise, make me aware of things that really "turn you off". I want this to be a positive learning experience for all of us.

Many people have great knowledge and experiences that they can share with the world. I think blogs are a great way to do that. If we can figure out the best ways to make some money at the same time, I think that would certainly provide more incentive for people to share via a blog.

Thanks in advance for the help!